The edible light green stalk and bulb of a Leek have a sharp flavour but are sweeter than onions. Leeks are 90% water and therefore very low in calories whilst containing a mix of nutrients.
The simple dishes are often the best!
Cheese, leek & potato tortilla
* butter , for frying
* 200g leek , thinly sliced
* 225g potatoes cooked and cooled (about 1-2 medium size ones)
* 6 eggs
* 85g cheddar
* 1 tbsp sage , finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried sage), optional
1. Melt a knob of butter in a medium, nonstick frying pan, then cook the leek for about 5 mins until softened. Meanwhile, cut the potatoes in half, then into slices about ½cm thick. Beat the eggs, season, then stir in the cheese and sage.
2. Add a little extra butter to the pan if needed, tip in the potatoes, then the egg mixture. Turn the heat to low, then cook for 10 mins until nearly set. Place under a hot grill, then cook for a couple of mins more until the top is set and golden. Slice into wedges and serve with a green salad.
Your Basket (0)