Looking like a miniature tree, Broccoli is a cabbage relative. It is high in Vitamins A, C and K as well as high in dietary fibre and low in calories.
Try this delicious pasty for a healthy snack or meal
Broccoli and Mushroom Pasties
Ingredients you will need (makes 4)
2 oz (50 g) unsalted shelled pumpkin seeds (optional),
finely ground 4 oz (100 g) plain wholemeal flour
1 3/4 cup (170 g) 6 1/2 oz plain flour (All purpose)
175 g (6 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
fresh coriander, to garnish.
For the broccoli and mushroom filling
4 oz (100 g) broccoli, cut into florets
4 oz (100 g) mushrooms, sliced
40 g (1 1/2 oz) frozen sweetcorn kernels, thawed
25 g (1 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
1 tbls (15 g) 1/2 oz plain wholemeal flour
1 tbls (15 g) 1/2 oz plain flour (All purpose)
1 cup (8 fl oz.) semi-skimmed milk
2.5 - 5 ml (1/2 - 1 tsp) grated nutmeg
pepper, to taste.
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Put the pumpkin seeds and flours into a mixing bowl.
3. Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Mix to a smooth and pliable dough with about 60-75 ml (4-5 tbsp) cold water.
5. Knead well. Wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Cover the broccoli and mushrooms with boiling water. Leave for 2 minutes, then drain well.
7. Mix in the sweetcorn kernels.
8. Melt the margarine in a milk pan, stir in the flours and cook for 2 minutes.
9. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk, then return to the heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
10. Cook for a further 1 minute.
11. Stir in the nutmeg and seasoning. Mix in the vegetables. Leave to cool.
12. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into four 18 cm (7 inch) rounds.
13. Divide the filling between the rounds.
14. Dampen the edges with cold water, fold over to form a seam and pinch together.
15. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
16. Bake at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 25 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and golden brown.
Serve hot or cold.
Your Basket (0)