Warm carrot salad with toasted cumin dressing Serves 4
A simple and lightly spiced salad is the perfect accompaniment to your favourite lamb, chicken or fish dish
* 2 tsp cumin seeds
* 750g carrots , cut into short sticks
* 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
* 4 tbsp lemon juice
* 4 tsp light muscovado sugar
* 2 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
* ½ tsp paprika
* handful of chopped coriander
* finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1. Put the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan set over a lowish heat. Cook for a few minutes, tossing in the pan, until they smell fragrant and have darkened slightly. Grind them in a spice or coffee grinder.
2. Put the carrots in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a few pinches of salt, then bring to the boil. Turn the heat to low and cook very gently for 3-4 minutes. Drain.
3. Whisk the oil, lemon juice and sugar, then stir in the garlic and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Stir in the cumin and paprika. Mix well with the carrots, then leave to cool, stirring occasionally. Toss in the coriander and lemon zest. Serve at room temperature.